Aptos is a web3 startup that builds the safest scalable Layer 1 blockchain. It was founded in 2021 and is based in Palo Alto, California.
Aptos will be built in part on the technology they developed in the open over the past three years. Aptos is using Move, the safe and reliable language originally developed for Diem. The ideas they conceived then are still relevant and will serve as an important foundation for a safe, scalable, upgradable Web3. Their plans for decentralization and permissionless access are progressing quickly and will be developed in the open.
IT1 (Incentivized Testnet 1): Decentralized Startup
Registration May 13
Begins May 16
Completes May 27
1. Registration and tracking website will be available prior to the start of IT1
2. Initially limited to 100 validator nodes (to be expanded in following later phases)
3. Tooling for decentralized network startup using GitHub
4. Documentation for running a production grade Validator
1. Perform decentralized network startup using GitHub / Genesis tooling
2. Remain online and participate through the completion of the testnet as measured by Aptos
Estimated start time: June
1. Staking and staking rewards support with test coins
2. Decentralized faucet support
3. Updated gas schedule, e.g., improved and well-documented cost for each operation within a transaction to make the cost of transactions predictable
1. Validate that staking, rewards, and delegation work as expected
2. Motivate validators to offer tokens via faucets to support distribution of test coins, delegation to validators, and ecosystem engagement
IT3: Governance and upgrades
Estimated start time: July
1. On-chain voting and governance
2. Lightweight state synchronization through backup and restore technology
1. Perform a decentralized network upgrade via the on-chain governance
2. Support new validators joining the network via backup and restore
IT4: Dynamic validator topology
Estimated start time: August
1. Support as many validators as possible
2. Validator DDoS protection
1. Final warm-up before moving to Mainnet
2. Validator DDoS validation
Teams and Partners
The team is composed of the original creators, researchers, designers, and builders of Diem, the blockchain that was first built to serve this purpose.
Aptos has raised a total of $200M in funding over 1 round. This was a Seed round raised on Mar 15, 2022.
Aptos is funded by 17 investors. FTX Ventures and Three Arrows Capital are the most recent investors.
Blockchain Core Stack
On-chain discovery for fullnodes — no more need to advertise
Improved network topology, e.g., differentiate upstream, downstream, and peer
DDoS mitigations and evaluation for validators — both attacks from downstream fullnodes and validators
Inline health checks to reduce unnecessary contention on the networking stack
Dynamic validator sets, subcommittees
Removal of legacy consensus code
Deep Safety Rules integration via a reference model to minimize copy overhead
Key retrieved via environmental variables or configuration parameters
Safety data storage within consensus DB (rocksdb)
Fine-grained storage — current model leverages a blob store that limits the maximum storage capacity of a single account. Including native table extension.
CRSN (Conflict resistant sequence numbers) — use windows of eligible sequence numbers rather than a sequential field
Storage economics, anti- state explosion. Gas and state eviction.
Performance benchmarking and improvements, including per-block instead of per-transaction state authentication structure maintenance.
Synchronization using the latest state and state output deltas rather than transactions
Backup and restore adapters for endpoints, e.g., AWS S3 buckets
Intelligence between consensus and state sync, performance awareness, and role in consensus (validator set or follower)
Improved transaction serialization and stickiness, including parallelized support for transactions on the same account
Eliminating or limiting validators broadcasting transactions
Enabling parallel execution of transactions
Reducing the granularity of merkle tree updates from transactions to blocks
Removal of execution correctness trusted computing base
Virtual Machine (VM) / Framework
Stricter enforcement on the mutability of modules, e.g., freezing versions for now and leaving open the ability for governance to enable it
Error types or richer errors from non-core framework modules
Modernized gas schedule that maps to actual usage — we’re still running on legacy gas schedule that offers little in terms of configurability down the road.
Support for parallelizable sequence numbers allowing “out of order” transaction execution for a single account also known as conflict-resistant sequence numbers
Validator and fullnode creation and registration
Key and Address rotation
Backup and restore in collaboration with state synchronization
Deep health checker
Retrieve and print managed node information
Retrieve and print on-chain information for a node
Validate fullnode / validator deployment, e.g., run a standalone testnet
Smart Contracts and Frameworks
Proof of stake, delegation, and rewards
Governance / DAO upgrade framework replacing the root account
DeFi or exchange app
Evaluate waste using perf and apply valuable changes across validators and fullnodes
Unified Tokio executors to reduce contention
1. Indexer to provide richer views of data, e.g., counts and lookup of distinct transaction types
2. Incentivized testnet registration and monitoring website
3. Wallet prototype/reference implementation Web extension and native
NFT / Token publishing, viewing, transferring
WalletConnect (2.0) support
Collect metrics from the ecosystem on node and tools usage
Validator and fullnode dashboard / scoreboard
5. VS code plugin with support for Aptos local testnet / devnet
6. Documentation for Aptos-core, Aptos’ Move, and Aptos’ Framework
7. Aptos + Move CLI along with documentation
8. Support node deployment with various tools. Provide deployment documentation (terraform, helm, kubernetes, docker)
Aptos Incentivized Testnet (AIT)
Registration has closed on May 19th at 5:00 PM EST.
May 13th — Registration date remains the same
May 19th — The last day for registration
May 23rd — Notification of acceptance
May 24th — Beginning of AIT1
Principles and Goals
Establish and promote the operator behavior that will lead to a successful Aptos Mainnet;
Emphasize the decentralized nature of the network;
Help foster an ecosystem for potential validator and fullnode operators;
Fairness and transparency in the selection process, success criteria, as well as the networks successes and failures.
Participants, Success, and Rewards
Click here to see more details.
Docs for Validators to Join
Our Staking Services
👏Cosmos 👏Osmosis 👏Tezos 👏Ethereum 👏Juno 👏Celestia 👏Provenance 👏Aptos
Why Choose Us to Manage Your Assets
BlockPower almost grew together with the establishment of the PoS consensus.
For instance, we have become Cosmos Genesis Validator since March 13, 2019.
BlockPower is one of the earliest participating service providers in Cosmos Network and Tezos Network. Furthermore, we have colorful experience in operating other networks like Juno, Osmosis, Aptos and so on (not only include Mainnet but also contain Devnets ). We have rich experience in emergency escalation, which reflects our instant crisis response capability.
BlockPower is actively participating in governance (like voting proposals and discussing in forums and discord channels), and what’s more, we have our own blog, disclosing information frequently.